As a (soon to be) RD, I try to sneak in vegetables whenever I can. I have no problem getting in vegetables for lunch, dinner, or snacks, but breakfast always seems to be difficult, unless I’m having an omelet (which is only on occasion). I’m not going to top my cereal with sliced carrots?! That would just be weird!!
Green Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie
Makes 1 serving
1. Put all ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth
For a thicker consistency, add ice
Look at the beautiful green color (that’s my favorite color!). Don’t be freaked out. I promise you can’t taste the spinach because the chocolate, banana, peanut butter flavor takes over!
**nutrition facts based on using Silk almond milk, Jay Robb chocolate egg white protein, and 2 cups spinach
- Add vegetables to your eggs in the morning – Favorite combo right now is eggs, feta cheese, spinach, and onions
- Pile on the veggies on your sandwich. Swap your ratio of meat to veggies to more veggies!
- Add some vegetables to your tomato sauce
- Go Meatless Monday, and think of new and fun creative vegetarian meals packed with vegetables.
- Sliced vegetables for snacks (with my veggie dip)
- Use vegetables as a base for a meal.. stuffed peppers, stuffed portobello mushrooms, stuffed zucchini boats, etc.
- Start each dinner with a salad
- Add veggies on top of your pizza
- Swap out a hamburger for a veggie burger once in awhile
- Prepare vegetables with different cooking methods: steamed, boiled, grilled, roasted, sauteed, etc.
- New veggie of the week: When you are food shopping try a new vegetable that you haven’t tried before.
- Use pumpkin puree for baking substitutions.
What ways do you sneak in vegetables into your diet?