Who can pass up a chocolate chip cookie? I know I can’t! This recipe sneaks in a full can of chickpeas for an added source of fiber and protein while enjoying a sweet treat.
Skeptical? Don’t be! You do not even taste the chickpeas and only taste a delicious soft chocolate chip peanut butter cookie.
Chocolate Chip (Chickpea) Peanut Butter Cookies
Makes 30 cookies
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray or parchment paper.
2. In a food processor, puree the chickpeas until smooth, set aside.
3. In a medium sized bowl, sift together the whole wheat flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, beat together the peanut butter, brown sugar, and applesauce until smooth. Add in the chickpeas, vanilla extract, and egg whites. Beat until smooth.
5. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients with a spatula until just combined. Mix in the chocolate chips.
6. Scoop the cookie dough batter (about 2 ounces each) onto the prepared baking sheets about 1 inch apart. Bake 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to completely cool.