Warm up with this simple and healthy homemade soup! I prefer to make a large batch of soup and freeze whatever I don’t eat for later. Mostly all canned soups have scary amounts of sodium in them. By making your own at home you can control what’s going in it.
Creamy Tomato Soup
Makes 8 wontons
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (28 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes
1 (9 oz) jar roasted red pepper tomato sauce
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
2 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
* can substitute with vegetable stock, non dairy milk and cheese to make it a dairy-free vegan option.
1. In a large pot, add olive oil and saute the onion until it is almost clear. Add the garlic and continue to cook for a few more minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, sauce, paste, water, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover and let it simmer for about 30 minutes.
3. In a blender or food processor puree the mixture until it gets to your desired consistency.
4. Add the milk, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Let it simmer for another 5 minutes and serve.
Now where is my grilled cheese!? I need to dip it into the soup 🙂
(Nutrition Facts based on Calorie Count)