While at my last (and favorite) rotation for my dietetic internship, the company hosted a Thanksgiving lunch and their 1st annual bake off. [If you’re reading, Hi Sara!!]
I could have went the traditional route and made a pie, but I wanted to try something different. I know for a bake-off type of event everyone sticks to something tried and true that they know will turn out well. Nope, I went for something that I have never tried making before. I would say it turned out pretty well.
Peekaboo Pumpkin Pound Cake with Nutella Frosting
Makes 12 servings
(Recipe adapted from SheKnows)
For the cake:
1 box pumpkin bread (or you can make it from scratch using one of these recipes: Pumpkin Bread – My Baking Addiction, Pumpkin Bread – Cooking Light)
orange food coloring 1 box pound cake mix (or you can make it from scratch using one of these recipes: (Pound Cake – Food Network)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup nutella
3 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
Candied Pecans: (optional)
see recipe here
1. Mix pumpkin bread ingredients according to box/recipe. Add orange food coloring to make the it more “pumpkin-y” and less brown.
2. Bake the pumpkin bread according to box/recipe directions. Let bread cool completely. Cut the bread into large slices. Use the pumpkin shaped cookie cutter to make pumpkin shapes from the bread.
3. Prepare a loaf pan by coating with cooking spray. Line the pumpkin shaped pieces of bread along the center of the pan.
4. Mix pound cake ingredients according to box/recipe directions. Pour over the pumpkin bread. Bake according to directions. Let cool completely when done.
5. While pound cake is cooling start making the nutella frosting by beating the butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and continue to beat on medium speed. Add nutella, until combined. Add the milk, vanilla, and salt. Beat until smooth and creamy. (if the frosting is too thick, add milk a teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached)
6. When pound cake is completely cooled, frost with the nutella frosting, and top with candied pecans.