Growing up, every Friday night was pizza night. I kept that tradition going even when I went off to college. My roommates and I would make pizza together with all different topping combos. My favorite is topping pizza with a variety of veggies! I was excited for this month’s Recipe ReDux theme of Pizza Party! I made this pizza Friday night with my boyfriend. It’s safe to say that is pizza is awesome considering it was devoured.
Try this simple recipe for a healthy whole wheat pizza crust! Top your pizza with this healthy combo or create a new version with your favorite pizza toppings.
Whole Wheat Pizza with Veggies and Feta
Makes 1 medium pizza, 8 slices
1 packet yeast
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup red onion. sliced
3/4 cup sliced plum tomatoes
1/2 cup feta cheese
1. Combine yeast, water, and 1 tsp sugar. Set aside and let sit for 5 minutes
2. In a stand mixer combine, 2 cups flour, salt, the rest of the sugar. Make a well in center and add the olive oil and yeast mixture.
3. Using the paddle on the stand mixer, mix ingredients until just combined. Then, switch to the dough hook and work for the dough for another 4-5 minutes. Add the remaining flour slowly until combined and until the dough starts to pull away from the side of the bowl.
4. Transfer the dough to a bowl lightly greased with cooking spray. Cover lightly with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise for about 45 minutes to 1 hour (dough should double in size).
5. Once the dough has risen, punch down the center of the dough. Lightly flour the pizza stone. Roll out the dough evenly. Let it rest for 10 minutes. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
6. Brush the dough with olive oil and garlic. Start assembling the toppings with half the mozzarella cheese, spinach, mushrooms, onion, remaining mozzarella cheese, feta cheese, and tomato.
7. Put the pizza in the oven and lower the temperature to 425 degrees F. Bake for about 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese has melted.
Look at those layers of toppings!
(nutrition facts based on calorie count – per slice)
Check out the other Recipe ReDux Pizza Party posts: