When I first developed this recipe it was for an appetizer. They are simple to make and a great healthy option as part of a spread for a gathering.
Simple swaps to make meatballs a little healthier:
- Swap ground beef for ground chicken or turkey – If you don’t fully want to swap all of the meat go 50/50 to reduce the fat.
- Bake instead of fry – Baking is a healthier cooking method than frying.
- Make them Mini – Make mini meatballs to help with portion control.
Try these mini meatballs as a healthy appetizer or a healthy addition to a meal.
Mini Chicken Meatballs
Makes about 30 mini meatballs; serving size 3 meatballs
2 slices whole wheat bread, torn into small pieces
1/3 cup skim milk
1/2 cup onion, finely diced
1 tsp garlic minced
2 tbsp olive oil – divided
1 pound lean ground chicken
2 tbsp tom,ato paste
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Soak the bread and milk in a small bowl until soaked and softened.
2. With one tbsp of olive oil, sauté the onion and garlic, until tender and translucent. Let cool.
3. Lightly beat the egg in a large bowl. Squeeze the bread to remove excess milk and add to the bowl. Add the chicken, tomato paste, onion and garlic sauté, red pepper flakes, oregano, salt and pepper in the bowl. Stir together ingredients until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
4. Form meatballs on a sheet pan sprayed with non stick spray. Brush remaining olive oil on the meatballs.
5. Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, until cooked through.
(nutrition facts based on calorie count – 3 meatballs)